Librarian Cover Letter and Resume Examples
Are you applying for a librarian position? Review examples of a cover letter and resume for a librarian job, with tips for writing job application documents that will help you get the interview.
When you write your cover letter, it should include your most relevant experience and education. Take the time to match your qualifications to the job, so your credentials are as close a match as possible to what the employer is seeking in an ideal candidate.
Your resume should include your previous work experience, education, skills, and any certifications you may have received. In both the "profile" and "skills" sections of your resume, highlight your computer and research skills, as they are both extremely valuable skills to have in this position.
See below for a sample librarian cover letter and an example of a resume that includes a profile section. Use these samples as a guide to help you get started.
Librarian Cover Letter Example
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I read with great interest your posting for a chief librarian at ABC Academy as listed on privateschooljobs.com. I know that my years of experience as an academic librarian and my success developing forward-thinking library projects make me an ideal candidate for this position.
I have over ten years of experience working as an academic librarian.
In my years of experience, I have developed various techniques for best explaining and instilling research skills in students. I have even developed and taught a well-received research course for first-year college students, which would translate well into an upper-level high-school course.
You state in your listing that you want a chief librarian who can adapt the library to today’s technology-driven culture.
I am very comfortable with implementing e-technology in a library setting. I even helped develop a streamlined library website at 123 Community College, which allowed students to more easily access the college’s online resources. I would love the opportunity to develop similar tools for ABC Academy’s library.
I am confident that my extensive experience makes me a strong candidate for chief librarian at ABC Academy. I have enclosed my resume and other required materials for your review. I look forward to speaking with you further about what I may offer your school. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Librarian Resume Example
123 Oakwood Ave
Oak Park, IL, 60302
Librarian with nearly ten years of secondary and university experience. Specialized in developing research tools and courses to strengthen students’ research abilities. Skilled in translating library services and policies into tangible, comprehensible resources for students. Award-winning abilities in display development and implementation.
Reference Librarian, 123 Community College, Oak Park, IL
July 20XX – present
- Initiated and co-developed new online catalog to promote efficient student and faculty research
- Develop instructional materials on research methods in various formats (web, multimedia, print)
- Write and publish library blog and maintain social media pages
- Develop and teach research course for students across majors; received college award for the best new course of 20XX.
Assistant Librarian, Oak Park High School, Oak Park, IL
August 20XX – June 20XX
- Developed and co-taught course on research methods for freshmen
- Consulted with colleagues and teachers to develop and construct monthly displays on various academic topics, such as playwrights, African American history, and the Revolutionary War
- Spearheaded project streamlining former magazine subscriptions and selecting new subscriptions that best fit the current needs of the teachers and students, saving the library $1,0000 annually.
- Catalogued hundreds of new acquisitions, maintaining accurate data on materials
Library Graduate Intern, XYZ University Theology Library, Chicago, IL
Sept. 20XX – July 20XX
- Developed skills in reference, periodical, and special collections through supervised rotations
- Oversaw daily patron services and assisted patrons with research questions
- Created four displays that emphasized the diversity of the library’s collections, receiving an award for excellence in research for one display.
Master of Library Science, XYZ University, Chicago, IL
Bachelor of Arts, ABC College, Chicago, IL
- Computer Applications: Mac, PC, Word, Excel, GoogleDocs, RefWorks, SPSS
- Web Publishing: HTML, Dreamweaver, WordPress, Wikis
- Instructional Tools: Blackboard, Turnitin, D2L
How to Email Your Resume and Cover Letter
If you're sending your resume and cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message:
Subject: Librarian Position - Your Name
Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information. Start your email message with the salutation.
Librarian cover letter
View this sample cover letter for a librarian, or download the librarian cover letter template in Word.
As a librarian, you know how compelling a great read can be. To be considered for top librarian jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for literature and working with people. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a librarian, or download the librarian cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about education careers and look for librarian jobs on Monster.
Librarian cover letter template
Sometown, MN 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
October 4, 2017
Ms. Tamara Fields
Director of Human Resources
ABC School District
55 Apple St.
Sometown, MN 55555
Dear Ms. Fields:
The middle school librarian opening advertised on Monster is an excellent match to my qualifications.
For the past 5 years, I have worked as a children’s librarian for Sometown Public Library, where I have made it my mission to empower children, adolescents and teens to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skilled researchers and ethical users of information. In this role, I have earned a reputation as a “trailblazer” in launching new or expanding existing programs, services and resources. Examples include:
- Collections Development: My recent efforts have been focused on broadening the diversity of the library’s youth fiction titles to emphasize the importance of literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds. I expanded works by African American, Latin American, Asian American and Muslim American authors, which resulted in the library winning the prestigious “American Library Association Diversity Award” and an accompanying $5,000 grant for further collections development.
- Digital Technologies: I helped create and launch the library’s new mobile app for smartphone devices, allowing fast and easy lending renewal. I was also instrumental in developing the library’s new digital collection, providing users with the ability to instantly download hundreds of book and movie titles to their e-readers (Nook or Kindle) during the 2-week borrowing period.
- Literacy Program: I introduced a bilingual literacy program for children and families that has tripled in attendance since its launch 3 years ago to a total of 350 enrolled participants.
Dedicated to continuing professional development, my credentials include a master of library science (MLS), a BA in education and licensure as a state-certified Library Media Specialist.
I am passionate about instilling a love of reading and learning within all library patrons. If you agree that my background is well suited to your needs, please contact me at (555) 555-5555 or email email@example.com to schedule a meeting.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.