OHIO UNIVERSITY SOUTHERN
2018 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest Guidelines
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY FRIDAY, JANUARY 5, 2018
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Rules & Guidelines:
2. Students may submit only one essay, and it must be the student’s original work.
3. The essay must be typed in Times New Roman font, size 12, double spaced with standard one inch margins, one side only.
4. The essay must be between 750 and 1000 words (about 3-5 pages).
5. The name, home phone number, parent’s email address, school,grade, and age of student author must be submitted on the entry form,accompanying the essay. Do not place your name or any other identifying information on any other page.
6. All essays are to include references, utilizing at least one book source, but no more than one website source. The sources do not need to be from Dr. King. They can relate to the topic of your essay.
7. Essays may NOT include photographs, images, illustrations, etc.
8. All essays will be judged on the author’s knowledge of the following: Dr. King and his work in the civil rights movement, relevancy to essay theme, originality of ideas and clarity of expression, personal perspective, organization, grammar, and guidelines.
9. All essays submitted become the property of Ohio University Southern and may be displayed on the website, in other university publications, or in locations throughout the community.
10. Children of Ohio University Southern faculty and staff are not eligible.
Deadline & Submission
- In the subject area of the email write the title of your essay
- Include in the text of your email the following information (This information serves as your ENTRY FORM for email submissions. Entries will not be read without the following):
- First Name
- Last Name
- Essay Title
- School Grade & Age
- Street Address, City, State, Zip Code
- Telephone Number with area code
- Parent’s Email Address
- School Name & Teacher’s Email Address
- Attach Speech (do not include your name or any of the above information (except title) on your essay).
Registration Deadline: Friday, January 5, 2018 at 5:00pm.
- Print and fill in the registration entry form
- Attach the registration form to your speech (do not include your name or entry information on your essay)
- Mail registration form and essay to:
Essays must be received by Friday, January 5, 2018 at 5:00pm. A confirmation will be sent to the email address listed on the registration form within three business days.
Enter the MLK Advancing The Dream Essay Writing Competition
You could win $500, $750 or $1,000!
The 2018 MLK Essay Contest is open to high school seniors attending Arlington schools or residing within the Arlington city limits. Scholarships to help defray the cost of college tuition and books will be awarded to the winning first, second and third place essay writers.First Place – $1,000 Scholarship
Second Place – $750 Scholarship
Third Place – $500 Scholarship
“Continuing The Dream: Moving Toward Unity, Justice and Peace”
How To Enter
SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS 5 PM FRIDAY, NOV. 17, 2017
Please mail all entries to:
Arlington MLK Committee
P.O. Box 1921
Arlington, TX 76004-1921
- Must be a High School Senior enrolled in an Arlington school or residing within the city limits of Arlington. This includes private and charter schools in Arlington.
- One essay per student. Essays must be original, typed, double-spaced, and must not exceed 1,500 words.
- Cover sheet must contain student’s name, school, home phone number, address and email address. None of this information should be included in the body of the essay.
- E-mail essay as a Microsoft Word document attachment to Cheryel.Carpenter@Arlingtontx.gov
- Essays will be judged on the basis of organization, content, voice, creativity, grammatical structure and overall conformity to the celebration theme.
Entries will be judged in December 2017. Winners will be formally recognized at the Arlington Martin Luther King Jr. Advancing the Dream Awards Banquet on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018 and throughout
the four-day celebration weekend.