Whether we assign a dollar value to it or not, time is valuable to us. Think about it: How much of your typical work week do you spend stressed about not having enough time to complete a task or reach a goal?
There are lots of different ways to tackle the issue of time management — you can download apps, adjust your sleep time, create lists, etc. But if you don’t fully understand why it’s important for you to better manage your time, those apps and lists aren’t going to help you. If you don’t have the motivation to use them, you won’t.
You have to first look at the big picture. Get a handle on why managing your time effectively is important, and what you stand to gain from it. You can get started by reviewing these 8 reasons time management is crucial:
- Time is limitedNo matter how you slice it, there are only 24 hours in a day. That applies to you, and to your coworker who only seems able to do half the amount of work you do. But it also applies to the former coworker who consistently accomplishes more than you, and was promoted as a result. If you want to rise through the ranks, you have to acknowledge the importance of finding a way to manage this limited resource.
- You can accomplish more with less effortWhen you learn to take control of your time, you improve your ability to focus. And with increased focus comes enhanced efficiency, because you don’t lose momentum. You’ll start to breeze through tasks more quickly (the workday will also seem to fly by).
- Improved decision-making abilityWhether you rely on a time-chunking technique or discover the power of list-making, you’ll soon find that a nice side benefit of good time management skills is the ability to make better decisions. When you feel pressed for time and have to make a decision, you’re more likely to jump to conclusions without fully considering every option. That leads to poor decision making.Through effective time management, you can eliminate the pressure that comes from feeling like you don’t have enough time. You’ll start to feel more calm and in control. When the time comes to examine options and make a decision, instead of rushing through the process, you can take time to carefully consider each option. And when you’re able to do that, you diminish your chances of making a bad decision.
- Become more successful in your careerTime management is the key to success. It allows you to take control of your life rather than following the flow of others. As you accomplish more each day, make more sound decisions, and feel more in control, people notice. Leaders in your business will come to you when they need to get things done. And that increased exposure helps put you in line for advancement opportunities.
- Learning opportunities are everywhereObviously, the more you learn, the more valuable you are to your employer. And great learning opportunities are around you, if you’ve got time to stop and take advantage them.When you work more efficiently, you have that time. You can help out with that new product launch your development team’s been working on. Volunteer to help host your company’s open house. Even just enjoying a nice lunch with teammates in other departments can prove eye-opening.
The more you learn about your company and your industry, the better your chances of making a positive impression on the C-suite.
- Reduce stressWhen you don’t have control of your time, it’s easy to end up feeling rushed and overwhelmed. And when that happens, it can be hard to figure out how long it’s going to take to complete a task. (Think of a time when you were about to miss a deadline and were frantically trying to finish the project. If someone dumped a surprise on your desk at that moment and asked you how long it would take to finish the surprise task, how could you even begin to answer their question?)Once you learn how to manage your time, you no longer subject yourself to that level of stress. Besides it being better for your health, you have a clearer picture of the demands on your time. You’re better able to estimate how long a given task will take you to complete, and you know you can meet the deadline.
- Free time is necessaryEveryone needs time to relax and unwind. Unfortunately, though, many of us don’t get enough of it. Between jobs, family responsibilities, errands, and upkeep on the house and the yard, most of us are hard-pressed to find even 10 minutes to sit and do nothing.Having good time management skills helps you find that time. When you’re busy, you’re getting more done. You accumulate extra time throughout your day that you can use later to relax, unwind, and prepare for a good night’s sleep.
- Self-discipline is valuableWhen you practice good time management, you leave no room for procrastination. The better you get at it, the more self-discipline you learn. This is a valuable skill that will begin to impact other areas of your life where a lack of discipline has kept you from achieving a goal.
The positive cycle of good time management
Looking through the list above, it’s easy to see the multiplicative effect of time management. Good time management allows you to accomplish more in a shorter period of time, which leads to more free time, which lets you take advantage of learning opportunities, lowers your stress, and helps you focus, which leads to more career success. Each benefit of time management improves another aspect of your life. All you have to do is get the cycle started.
Want more help with time management? We’ve got your back:
Ready to introduce your company to the benefits of time management? Find out how our scheduling software works to save your business time and money.
Time management is important for students to do the study with focus.Time management is important for students to get high marks. Student’s success in studies depends much on managing time efficiently. The habits and morals they acquire during schools time and home will stick with them throughout future.
Time management shapes the student’s mind into the direction of discipline and sense of duty. Discipline is extremely important especially in school lifeto become better students. Time management is a skill that enables students to use their time productively and efficiently.
Time management is not taught as an academic subject in schools. Students have to utilise their 24 hours to become best students and experts in the subject. The focus of learning time management skills is just to develop the habits of spending time wisely.
Why is time management important?
1. Students get a minimum of one year time to pass one class. One whole year’s time students spend on completing syllabus, doing homework, giving exams. Some students only start studying seriously when the exam dates are near. If students manage their time for studying as early as they begin a new class and study regularly by the following timetable then it helps them to accomplish more in the class than other students.
2. Today businessmen, leaders and freelancers need to take control of their time. All of us are not productive in our 9 to 5 working schedule. Today we’re are fighting with time to control it. It’s not that easy while there are hundreds of commands being given to us. We are busy but not busy in things that generate values. Today managers try to make their employees productive at the office. Employees are also learning to manage time effectively. That’s very important to achieve success at work with less effort. Students need to follow to do list and need to set time table for every activity. If students priorities their task based on the importance then it will very helpful in their career.
3. During exams, students need to complete the attempted question paper. During exams the time is limited. Within that time they have to prove what they learned in the whole year. Some students have great knowledge and know almost everything about the subject but they failed to attempt the question paper in 2-3 hours fixed time. That is why managing time for all questions is really important. All questions are important to get maximum marks. Students need to understand what question require more time. How can all 10 or 5 question be answered in 3 hours time? Three things are very helpful for students to attempt question paper.
First of all, if the students learned regularly about the subjects and question then they don’t have to worry about the time because they know the answer immediately without too much thought. Secondly, if they learned well from their teachers how to attempt question paper in a fixed time they will do well. The third is their own creativity. For instance, few students do most difficult questions first, which takes more time and then go for the other questions. These kind of time management skills are really great.
In future when students face time management questions in an interview they perform better. Time conscious students who are great in managing time during their study are able to do more work later in a job than others. They don’t get stressed because of project deadlines. They become more productive than others.
As you may be knowing, how to become more productive at work is a trending search on Google. Today when you can see that many governments and private sector service provider waste precious time of citizens and customers, that’s poor time management. Our students are the future of our country and if they waste time and have poor time management skills, then how will they become great doctors, engineer, businessmen, team members etc. Such people today live in stress and anxiety because of competitions and deadlines. Poor time management skills are another reason for stress. Stress leads such people to follow bad habits. That’s why I think if students are great in time management then we can hope they will definitely contribute to the development of our nation.
Teachers, schools and colleges try their best. But parents also need to understand to teach good habits to their kids. In that way, teacher’s time will not be wasted on teaching about time management skills. But it’s also true that if parents are not punctual about their own time how can their kids be. That’s how I think. I can be wrong but this is my opinion.
The goal of time management for students is to reduce the stress and increase confidence for the exams. We often heard of the term “exam fever” from students. Which is nothing but the anxiousness due to lack of time needed for studying? Students often say they don’t have enough time to study. So where is the student’s time going? Why do some students excel while others keep complaining about the lack of time? Not all students know about the time management skills. Even some students perform better than others without the knowledge or thinking about time management. Students have more time than any other person. The aim of students is to perform better in the exam and implement the lessons of teachers in real life.
Today student’s time is consumed by various things. Such as heavy load of homework, family get together, gadgets, Internet, games and TV. Everything looks interesting and important when we’re students. But when the exam comes students and parents start getting stress. Competition to get more marks increases stress in students and parents. But some students are still happy and confident to perform best and parents don’t even feel any stress. That’s how good habits play their role. Generally, it’s all about having good time management skills that separate the good students from average ones. So let’s try to understand where this time goes? How students can get their time back for using it on beneficial activities.
Usually, a student’s time allocation is prefixed by the school and universities as per their schedule and timetable. There is the fixed time for each class, lunch and for physical activities. Teachers and authorities try to make sure that students stay focused on the tasks at hand. They try to utilise every minute by avoiding wastage of time on unnecessary activities. Schools and teachers do their best in managing time of students in schools. But what about the time of students after leaving school. Do all students know how to manage time effectively? Unfortunately not!
Many students think that since the schools or college time is over they can spend their time as they wish. That’s great! Students need freedom. They are right! They have freedom to use social media. They have freedom to play games. They have a freedom choose whatever they like to do. But hours and hours spent on browsing the Internet, posting selfies on social media, playing games and chatting on WhatsApp never come again. Without following proper time table for entertainment and studies, students will waste their precious time on such activities.
All those activities which do not add anything to the students’ knowledge and development are a waste of time. Students lose focus from what was taught at school. At the end of the day students falls behind on their homework and time needed for exam preparation.
So, let’s take a look at a few tips on how students can maximise their time. What are the ways that students can follow for utilization of time to achieve better results?
Time management goals for students
Student’s time management strategy should be created by considering the specific end goals. Following are the examples of time management goals that help students to create a timetable that they can follow along with enjoying.
The first goal of students – Time to study what is taught by teachers in schools or in college.
Second goal – Time for class homework
Third Goal – Preparation for upcoming exams
Third goals – Time for Family & Friends
Fourth Goal – Time for playing games, watching TV & social media
Fifth Goal – Time for physical activities/Exercise/Yoga
So let’s create a time table sheet based on the end goals of students. Following is an example of Timetable created by including 5 subjects and considering above goals. This timetable is not including school time. In this time sheet example, we’re including only time spend at home.
Below time table is just an example that students can follow by customising according to their suitability. You can create Timetable or schedule in Microsoft Excel sheet or in your notebook.
|Time – Table, School Time – 10 am to 4 PM|
Morning Time Schedule
|4 AM to 5 AM||Studying about English Subject||1-2 question / Chapter|
|10 Minutes Break|
|5:10 AM to 6:10 AM||Studying about Math||1-2 question /Chapter|
|6:20 AM to 7:20 AM||Studying about Social Science||1-2 question/Chapter|
|10 Minutes Break|
|7:30 AM to 8 AM||Yoga, Exercise|
|8:10 AM to 9 AM||Bathing, Praying, Breakfast||Healthy diet|
|10 Minutes Break|
|9:00 AM||Ready to go to school|
|Evening Time Schedule|
|5 PM to 6 PM||Evening snacks/ Sleeping or rest|
|6 PM to 7 PM||Playing outdoors/indoor games with friends|
|7 PM to 9 PM||Home Work|
|9 PM to 10 PM||Dinner/Watching TV / Spending time with family|
|10 PM to 11 PM||Remaining Homework if any else studying particular subjects|
I know that the above-given timetable or schedule looks very tough to follow but it’s great if anyone will follow this kind of routine during their study time. It will make students punctual, disciplined, intelligent and sharp minded. Studying daily and making it a habit not only reduces stress in schools but also make students happy and healthy.
Goal setting is important to manage time effectively for students
Settings goals are important in our life. Not all the time we need to set goals. We can also achieve bigger things without setting goals. We need to set goals when we’re not focused when our time is wasted on unproductive things. When there is a tough situation in business and life. Or we’re facing competitions or fighting for good things. Then we need to set goals.
Goal setting for students is also important but It’s not necessary to teach small kids very early in life about time management. It can be too stressful for them to understand and grasp at such a young age. Instead, we can try to build good habits without giving the weight of goals. If students follow good habits and utilise their presence of mind for the greater things no other external advice is required. But this kind of cases not comes in our life all time.
Students can set time management goals by considering following things:-
- Set goals for the subject in which they are not performing well or getting low marks.
- Students can set goals for good health. They can set to become smarter and healthier.
- Students can set goals that they will include in the Timesheet specific time for study, time for personal development, time for family and time for friends.
If students set goals by considering the things they are not good at then definitely it will help! Setting goals for study, creating to-do list and enjoying the life without the stress of study will be helpful. When students set goals and priorities the task they will achieve more grades than others. Why because they managed and lived the life not only for entertainment but for a cause.
If someone’s parents want their kids to become doctors, engineer or something else than they have to be like that from starts to finish. Setting goals and using to-do list helps students to prioritise their time on specific things they want to improve.
If someone goal is to improve English they can set and get time for study daily about English. Such as they will learn each day 5 new English words in the morning. So this is why goal setting is important for time management.
Prioritising task based on their importance in a particular time is the key to effective time management. The most effective time management for students is prioritising of tasks. Not all tasks are important. But students need to find out which task is more important than other?When they have to be done and within what period? Which is the right time for a particular task? For instance, in a break during the preparation of exams playing computer games are not important, but if they do yoga in that break it will calm their mind and help with the exam preparation.
So, if you’re a student then think what is possible to do that helps you to become the good student. What are the things you have at your disposal that can help you to manage time? Take help from parents, ask them how you can utilise time. How they can support you etc. Time management is the just presence of mind. In this case, you have to decide what is right for you in this time and situation.
Spread the love