a non-refundable fee
Application OPENS on Thursday, January 4th, 2018 at 11:00am (PST)
Application CLOSES on Friday, February 2nd, 2018 at 5:00pm (PST)
Official Transcripts must be postmarked on/before Friday, February 2nd, 2018
For admission consideration ALL MATERIALS must be completed on/before Friday, February 2nd, 2018
Final admissions decisions will be emailed to all applicants on Friday, March 23rd, 2018 after 5pm (PDT)
WHO CAN APPLY
Rising 8th graders (will be in 9th grade in Fall 2018) through rising 11th graders (will be in 12th grade in Fall 2018). Students who are not residents of California may apply, but COSMOS can admit at most 20 out-of-state students each summer. Please contact the Statewide COSMOS office with questions about student residency status for application purposes.
all materials required to be considered for admission are due Feburary, 2nd, 2018
1) Completed online application, including one personal statement;
2) One teacher recommendation (STEM teacher preferred, others accepted)
3) Official high school transcript(s) (9th graders must also submit a copy of their 8th grade report card)--mailed directly to the campus you are applying
|UC Davis||UC Irvine||UC San Diego||UC Santa Cruz|
|Attention: COSMOS |
1204 Mathematical Sciences Building
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
9500 Gilman Dr., MC 0429
Jacobs Hall, Room 1205
San Diego, CA 92093
Educational Partnership Center
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
4) Parent/guardian eSignature(s) in the parent portal
5) Application fee ($30)--payable online with a credit card or check, see below for details
application fee; deposit & tuition
Credit card payments available. Please note that a 2.5% service fee will be added to all online payments
Mail check or money order to (payable to "UC Regents"):
please note on the check to which campus you are applying, i.e. UCSD, and include applicant's name.
University of California
PO Box 989062
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062
Financial aid application, including tax return cover sheet or TANF (no social security numbers), must be completed with admission application
Selection is competitive but if you don’t apply, you’ll never know! The program will serve up to 160 students in 8 different STEM subject areas. Some courses have prerequisites to ensure success in the program. UCI faculty teaching for COSMOS will review all applications. Admission is based upon:
- 3.0 gpa* minimum; official transcripts; emphasis on science/math grades (Do not send test scores, student resume, certificates of achievement of other affidavits of merit; these items will not be considered)
- One recommendation from a math, science, or other STEM teacher is required. Plan to ask your teacher well in advance if they would complete a COSMOS recommendation on your behalf, supporting your application.
- The applicant’s interest, motivation, leadership and school or community involvement
- Participant and achievement in science and math project and/or competitions
- APPLICATION TIP: your essays are a key component of the application. Use good grammar and punctuation (texting language is inappropriate). Invest time in your essay answers! Proofread!
*Most admitted students have a 3.5 gpa or higher.
Special Note for 8th Grade Students:
Only graduating 8th graders achieving academic excellence in science or math courses BEYOND the typical 8th grade level will be considered for admission. These students must be mature enough to participate in a four-week residential program away from home and live independently and responsibly. Only a small percentage of 8th grade applicants are admitted to COSMOS each year. Parents should consider if they are ready to have their son or daughter be away from home. Regardless of student age or grade level, parents are not permitted to visit the program.
Returning Student Policy:
Due to the high demand for participation in COSMOS, students who have already attended COSMOS are not eligible to apply at this time.
Tuition for Summer 2018 is $3,745.